Caching Help

Fastline

Hello @Xon ,

I'm new here. Willing to purchase some of the curated addons. What would be a perfect fit for caching? Memcached or Redis Cache?

You would need to use redis with my various caching add-ons as they use often use the more powerful instruction-set that redis offers.

You would need to use redis with my various caching add-ons as they use often use the more powerful instruction-set that redis offers.
Okay, i see. Other than Redis Cache, what are the other options? Such as APC, File System Caching, etc.

Also, sessions and Pages should be cached or not?

Just redis is supported. I strongly do not recommend using APC or filesystem caching. APC can deadlock and cause your entire site to become unusable; and file system caching doesn't scale.

Sessions should be cached, but pages shouldn't be as it is a very niche option and requires careful testing.

Just redis is supported. I strongly do not recommend using APC or filesystem caching. APC can deadlock and cause your entire site to become unusable; and file system caching doesn't scale.
Oh, wow. Thank you so much for providing me with the information. For Redis, do I need to have another caching server or is it possible to deploy on the same server on which XF is deployed? If we compare Redis vs Memcached in terms of resource and performance, what would be the best?

Also, APC and XCache are already outdated right?
Sessions should be cached, but pages shouldn't be as it is a very niche option and requires careful testing.
As per XF2 manual, it says "Your cache must have enough space to hold the sessions, or users may not be able to log in properly." Any idea what amount of space it would take? What about CSS Caching?

I was looking for Real-time Threads and Conversation updates for XF and then I came across the Live Content addon. Does it also support the Latest Activity polling? As I was going through, I read that the Live Content addon is resource extensive. Is that so? What are the minimum server specs for running this addon without any performance degradation?

Also, do you have any suggestions for the Table of Contents add-on for XF?

Thanks

Last edited:
Oh, wow. Thank you so much for providing me with the information. For Redis, do I need to have another caching server or is it possible to deploy on the same server on which XF is deployed? If we compare Redis vs Memcached in terms of resource and performance, what would be the best?
Running them on the same server works fine, infact is better to be as close to what is running php.

As per XF2 manual, it says "Your cache must have enough space to hold the sessions, or users may not be able to log in properly." Any idea what amount of space it would take? What about CSS Caching?
A redis instance with ~256mb max memory will allow for a staggering number of sessions. Unless you are really with a site which will have >25k people online at once that should be fine.

I was looking for Real-time Threads and Conversation updates for XF and then I came across the Live Content addon. Does it also support the Latest Activity polling? As I was going through, I read that the Live Content addon is resource extensive. Is that so? What are the minimum server specs for running this addon without any performance degradation?
I don't have any real benchmarks or server sizing recommendations as this is highly dependant on user activity and server performance.

Also, do you have any suggestions for the Table of Contents add-on for XF?
Closest is my Threadmarks add-on which allows creating an overlay of marked posts, and then an index of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back