GetIPIntel IP caching & prioritizing functions to reduce query burning

Kuolema

Reactions
GetIPIntel IP caching

I love the GetIPIntel integration; it's the sole reason I chose to buy the add-on. Queries are cheap as is, but I wanted to know if it would be possible to add IP caching (that can optionally be cleared) to help prevent people from maliciously burning up your queries? For game servers that I use GetIPIntel with, I usually cache IP addresses and separate them into "good" and "bad" classifications for at least one month, then clear the cache at the beginning of the next month to ensure I'm not still blocking an IP that might have been leased or sold off to someone else, as IP addresses are always being rotated from owner to owner, so static blacklists are never a good option.

Adding a caching system would help reduce the use of queries, but there should also be option to clear the cache so that people who use this add-on and utilize the GetIPIntel integration aren't blocking IP addresses that might've switched to a new owner, or perhaps even a residential ISP.

Prioritizing functions to reduce query burning

To reduce query usage, the add-on should first check other pieces of information (i.e. AS number, email, etc.) before relying on GetIPIntel to check the IP reputation. The idea behind this suggestion is that if a user attempts to register, but you automatically reject registration requests that have an AS number of 204655, which is Novogara LTD, a known infamous host, then their registration should just be rejected at that moment, rather than continuing to query the IP in GetIPIntel. This would prevent an unnecessary query to the GetIPIntel API, and thus save queries for people with higher amounts of traffic and malicious users attempting to register on their forum.

Conclusion

To end this informal suggestion, I just want to add that I love the add-on! It's truly amazing and has helped me reduce ban evaders, trolls, and bot spam registrations. I'm going to recommend this add-on to anyone who wants to start a forum using XenForo.

I had started to work on a caching layer, but never finished it. Sadly the XenForo spam checking system doesn't really have the needed hooks to implement priority for spam-checks.

I can definitely implement both things, but just haven't gotten around to it.

I had started to work on a caching layer, but never finished it. Sadly the XenForo spam checking system doesn't really have the needed hooks to implement priority for spam-checks.

I can definitely implement both things, but just haven't gotten around to it.
I dare say that would make the add-on perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back