Moderate registration if profile field contains keyword

Alpha1

Reactions
One of the most effective way to catch spammers and trolls IME is to scan profile fields of new users for keywords. Spammers cannot resist entering promotional text into profile fields. Let new users fill in one or more fields. If the keywords are found then moderate the account.

Scheduled for the next major version, XF has various content checkers which for some reason aren't applied to custom fields. Should be trivial to apply the various XF content spam checking to the submitted custom fields + profile fields.

This allows the existing XF spam phrases to be applied to profile fields & custom fields

Last edited:
I think its important to be able to set one list of separate keywords for all fields instead of just reusing spam keywords because spam is not the only issue with new registrations. For example:
  • We require new registrations to have a filled in profile. Each fields requires a minimum amount of characters. Users try to circumvent this by filling the field with the same character. i.e. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Moderation of accounts is useful in case the name of competing sites or problematic organizations are mentioned in the fields.
  • We deny registrations that are done for the wrong reasons. For example: perverse registrations looking for a sexual hookup. So if keywords relating to this are mentioned we reject the registration.

Creating a 'signup spam phrases' wouldn't be terribly difficult. I'm of the opinion it should stack with normal spam phrases, thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back