Reset all thread watch notifications upon forum visit

Turbo

Reactions
I thought I had placed this in a thread but it was in a convo so I'm re-posting my part of that here

This one has always bothered me. I understand the rationale behind not triggering resetting the notifications until you actually read the replies to the thread you are watching (or just visiting the thread) but this is a major break from vB functionality and I strongly believe that it has led to reduced visits to the forum.

People are very much used to getting new notifications for all threads they are watching after simply visiting the forum, just like vB used to do. We used to run on DNN activeforums, which actually worked like persistent alerts in that if you were subscribed to a thread, you got every single reply to that thread (or even an entire subscribed sub-forum!) regardless of whether or not you visited the forum/website, ever again.

I feel this actually was good, for a smaller forum. For a big board where emails clogging up the server could be an issue, sure. XF default is OK. But when we're competing for attention, lack of email means perceived lack of activity.

I want an option to reset all notifications upon visiting any part of the forum. This is how vBulletin worked - if you got an email notification for a new reply on 20 threads you were subscribed to, and you clicked one link and viewed one thread, or even if you just pulled up the forum home page and didn't even view a single thread at all, it reset all notifications en mass.
Here's what I would like to see as options available to the end users:

1) default XF functionality

2) reset all notification statuses for all watched threads/forums upon visiting forum (vB functionality mirror)

3) persistent notification of all replies to watched threads regardless of visiting (old DNN functionality mirror)

We obviously have 1 by default, and 3 with your PA addon. I would like to see #2 either rolled into PA as well.

I think that would be hugely marketable to the post vB crowd. It's almost like it's a functionality that is just not talked about, the default XF functionality is forced on us...and for smaller boards that rely on notifications to engage users, there is a temporary kill off of traffic because of it. Then you have to train all the old users about how it works, or they just think the forum died off.

Bottom line, I want more emails going out to engage. But not everyone wants persistent notification, in fact some would find that super annoying.

By the way, for anyone who doesn't use Tapatalk - if you are watching a thread or forum, they send out persistent push alerts. If a watched thread blows up, I get a push notice for every single post. It can be a very very useful thing...I'll say it again, I think the XF devs had good intentions but screwed the pooch when they made this feature the way it is with no other option.

IMO this is desperately needed.

@Xon is there any chance that you are working on this for XF1.X? It's desperately needed IMO. As I've spent time explaining the XF functionality to our members, the overwhelming majority of them basically responded "why in the hell is XF designed like that???"

The Persistent Alerts swings the pendulum too far, IMO. But the old vBulletin functionality, that's a good inbetween.

Plus, I still find it mind boggling that no one else has seriously complained about this...they just buy into the philosophy and deal with it.

@Turbo I've penciled this down s something to look at into my todo list. I'm hopeful I'll be able to get to it in the next 1-2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back